How to Pack Pictures & Mirrors without Breaking Them
When moving, it can be a daunting task to pack up all your belongings, particularly fragile items such as pictures and mirrors. It’s important to handle these items with care to prevent any damage during transportation. In this post, we’ll share some useful tips and tricks on how to pack pictures and mirrors safely, so you can enjoy them in your new home without any concerns.
1. Gather the Necessary Supplies- Before you begin packing your pictures and mirrors, make sure you have the right tools for the job. You will need a variety of materials such as bubble wrap, packing tape, cardboard, and boxes of different sizes. You can also consider purchasing picture/mirror boxes from your moving supplier to ensure added protection.
2. Remove Hardware- It is essential to remove any hanging hardware that is attached to your pictures and mirrors. This will help prevent scratches and damage during moving. Use screwdrivers to remove any fasteners or hooks, and place them in a labeled plastic bag.
3. Protect the Glass- The most common reason for damage to pictures and mirrors is a breakage of their glass. To prevent this, apply a layer of bubble wrap to each item’s glass surface. Make sure to wrap around the corners and edges as they are the most vulnerable to damage. Use tape to secure the bubble wrap and avoid shifting during transit.
4. Create a Cushion- To ensure that your pictures and mirrors stay in place during the move, create a cushion inside their boxes. Use a stack of padded paper, foam, or even soft clothing to create a buffer that will protect them from impact. Make sure the cushion is stable and does not move around when you place the pictures or mirrors inside.
5. Pack Smart- When packing your pictures and mirrors, place them in a box that matches their size, so they fit snugly and don’t move around. Ensure each item is standing on its edge or wrapped side and the spine or uncushioned back of the picture is facing the cardboard box’s inner surface. You can bundle small pictures or mirrors together using butcher paper before wrapping them with bubble wrap.
Packing pictures and mirrors may seem challenging, but with the right materials, methods, and care, you can keep them intact and damage-free. Consider seeking assistance from professional movers if you are unsure about packing your fragile items, and remember to label your boxes clearly to avoid confusion during the move. With these tips in mind, you can move your pictures and mirrors to your new home with confidence.